Shere Museum opened in the Old Malt House as a one-day event in 1984, part of Shere's annual "Fair in the Square". The core of the exhibition came from an accumulation of domestic and agricultural items left by the previous owners. In 2009, after 25 years as a collection in a private house, the museum was moved to new premises converted from the former Working Men's Club.
Shere Museum is now housed in the original Shere Parish Hall in Surrey, which was built to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1898. When the men of Shere returned from serving in the First World War the parish wished to honour them, by completing the present Village Hall in 1922, the Parish Hall became available for The Shere Working Men's Club. The Shere Working Men's Club closed in 1997 and the hall lay empty until 2006 when a team of volunteers started work on converting the building to house the museum collection.
The Shere Museum Committee is hugely grateful to the dedicated team of volunteers who have steered the transition of the museum collection from the original location to the Parish Hall. This has included devoting many hours to the extensive refurbishment of the hall, along with raising funds to make that refurbishment possible.